New year, new you, with New Leaf
By now I’m sure you’ve heard all about “sitting being the new smoking.” Did you know, however, that social isolation can be just as unhealthy? Listen to this striking line from a Stanford Be Well article, “Not long ago I heard a cardiologist compare social isolation to smoking, saying that loneliness is the new tobacco.” It is necessary to address both of these areas of life in this digital age of busy, so be sure to seize all opportunities for growth and connection.
I’ve seen the power of isolation vs. social ties first hand. Years ago, I began working around the house for a widower. Because his health was extremely poor, he looked like he wasn’t much longer for this life. In time and talking with him, I found out that he had spent several years isolated and lonely. His wife’s death was a very unexpected blow, and he had no children. We began to spend more time together and he became like a second father to me. Soon, I taught him to email; and before I knew it, he was a “proud grandfather” sending photos of my sons to his family. He would tell them all the funny things they did that week. New friendship sparked new life in him, and he stayed with us another year and a half!
Healthy food, exercise, and social ties
If you aren’t familiar with the Pleasanton New Leaf health food store, you should be! It began in the 80’s as a Santa Cruz Co-op and is the first California grocer to have obtained a B Corporation certification. This essentially means they work hard to make sure their business puts forth every effort to help solve social and environmental problems. Programs like Envirotokens and the classes below are impressive evidence! Join their events to make new friends who are also pursuing their best health, and enjoy a little heart healthy sweating.
To register for any of these classes, click here.
- Coocoo For Cocoa Tasting– Thursday, January 5th 3-6 pm. Hot cocoa and whipped cream, served in honor of National Whipped Cream Day. Free event.
- Shape Up Saturdays– Saturdays, January 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th 8:30-9:30 am. Techniques taught over the course of the month include self-defense, Pilates, and kick-boxing. This recurring event is for adults age 18+, but children age 12+ are welcome to attend with a guardian. The cost is $5 per person, and registering ahead of time secures you a post-workout refuel.
- Weight Management and Juicing 101– Tuesday, January 10th 10:30-11:30 am. Join a local nutritionist for healthy tips on weight loss and juicing while sampling New Leaf’s organic juices and fruits. Free Event.
- Energy Boosting Juicing and Tasting– Tuesday, January 10th 12-2pm. Enjoy sampling fresh organic juices and receive new recipes to make at home. Free Event.
- “Try it” After-School Snacks Class: Citrus-Inspired Recipes– Tuesday, January 17th 3-5:30 pm. Kids will sample and learn to make easy after school snacks, bettered furthermore by using seasonal fruits! Free Event.
- Pans on Fire Cooking Demo: Citrus-Inspired Recipes– Wednesday, January 18th 3:30-6:30 pm. Citrus inspired recipes and samples to inspire your cooking throughout this winter season.
- Chocolate Cake and Chocolate Beer Tasting – Friday, January 27th 5-7 pm. Without further ado, the “icing on the cake”… National Chocolate Cake Day = chocolate cake and chocolate beer sampling… Yes please!